Gramma Burgers 1940’s, Highway Cafe Original Recipe Banana Bread With Mama G Inspiration.
1 stick butter room temperature (key)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs room temperature lightly beaten (key)
4 very ripe bananas
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1/3 c sour milk, this is done by adding a capful of vinegar to milk
2 cups flour
1 tsp of orange zest
Combine and incorporate all ingredients accordingly
prepare a loaf pan with cooking spray EVENLY (no clumps darlins’) and dust with flour. It should look like velvet.
Pour batter into pan and cook in preheated oven at 350 for 45 to 55 minutes.
Yields: 1 loaf
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total time: 65 minutes
Ease of preparation: Simple
For added decadence:
Crumble recipe… 1 1/2 c flour, 3/4 c LIGHT brown sugar packed, 3/4 c sugar, 1 1/2 sticks COLD butter cubed small, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 2 tsp vanilla, mix with hands or pastry cutter until it looks like crumble. Place over bread and then bake. Tip: dark brown sugar will burn.
Mama G’s Tips:
1.Wrap warm bread in plastic wrap and allow to steam overnight for the best texture you could ever imagine.
2. Prepare orange glaze and pour over warm bread.
3. Drizzle heavy cream lightly and evenly over warm bread. Allow to soak in and then wrap in plastic overnight. Did you just faint? You’re Welcome!
4. I often prepare this in a bundt but pretty please use a light colored pan.
5. Prepare also in a spring form pan (light colored)
6. Add lemon or orange zest to bread
7. So, here is the thing with preparing our pans for baking. Very often, almost always, I use cooking spray very evenly with no clumping. My baked goods remove perfectly once they hit a certain temperature. Just takes practice. However, banana bread is stubborn. I always spray and dust with flour. Of course, many bakers use butter which is beautiful also. For me, the spray allows me to achieve a perfect finish.
8. Before bread is placed into oven take a butter knife and gently run it across the top of the batter for a beautiful presentation
9. You can also add 1 c of chocolate chips to bread
Mama G’s words of baking/cooking wisdom. Technique is the difference between good food vs outstanding, gimme that, I can’t live without it food. Example. Banana bread is delicious but if I wrap it in plastic when warm and allow it to sweat overnight, the texture is ridiculous. If I hit my cakes/cupcakes with simple syrup when warm, making sure to cover entire surface so no air hits the surface, the flavor & texture is ridiculous. For me, I also make sure to under bake very slightly because product will continue to cook once out of oven. Use caution with this because you don’t want raw areas.
With Love, Mama G